There’s nothing like being IN a relationship and feeling disconnected. After all, one of the benefits of being in a relationship is to be connected with someone; you know, companionship. When you are, there’s nothing like it. But when you’re not, you want to know what to do to fix it fast. Here are ten things that will help you do just that:
1. Avoid, or prepare yourself for situations that make you feel disconnected. Pay attention to what’s going on with you when you’re feeling this way so you can safeguard yourself in the future. Consider these questions:
• Who are you with?
• What’s the conversation about?
• What are you thinking?
• What’s your negative self-talk?
2. Talk about your feelings to help you deal with the disconnection. Don’t hold those feelings in. Talking about your feelings is important to your emotional health and causes immediate shifts to occur for the better.
3. Change any negative thoughts you may have into positive ones, or those that will help you get outside of yourself and off of yourself.
4. Deal with disconnection by solving problems. Think about what issues show up for you as a result of feeling disconnected, and then do something to reverse it, to feel the way you’d like to.
5. Change what you can about the disconnection and it will affect the end result, rather than focusing on what you cannot do anything about.
6. Ask for support and be clear on what you need that can help, and what you want it to look like for you.
7. Communicate assertively instead of being disconnected. Don’t ostracize.
8. Own your own feelings. Don’t disconnect because someone else is. Be clear on your feelings and own them, and deal with them.
9. Understand how others may be feeling. This is part of connecting. Listen. Be open.
10. Learn how to connect (associate, relate, bond, unite, cooperate, become one; this is connecting).
While each of these can be helpful in connecting when you’re feeling disconnected, not every single one may pertain to you at any given moment. Choose what is an appropriate fit for you and implement. Before you know it, you’ll find yourself connecting.
Leave a question or comment below about how this resonates with you, and reach out and connect if I can be of further support.
I would love to read your thoughts and comments about this post. Please feel free to leave them below. Reach out and get connected if you have any questions, or would like a “Complementary Relationship Breakthrough Session” at https://barbaraannwilliams.com/ninesecretsforadeeperrelationship