With the busy and fast hustling we do today to keep up with everything that’s going on in our own personal lives, between work, family, and community, it’s no wonder we have a difficult time staying in touch with who we are as individuals. If this sounds like you, then this is just a reminder of how important YOU are, and to get back to you. Ponder these questions:
Do you find yourself:
- Being pulled in different directions
- Called on by others for help
- Not having enough time for you
- Always tired and/or drained
If any of the above ring true for you, then consider this your warning cry for help. Nobody else is going to come running to rescue you out of this fog. What you need is to see it for what it really is and make some changes before things get too far out of hand.
Some suggestions to help you get back to you may include:
- Find a quiet space where you can spend time with just you, and no plans to do anything; just sit and be still. Pay attention to the thoughts roaming in your mind and what that means for you
- Visit a nursing home or other caring facility that may be of interest to you; observe
- Drive to a nearby mall and just sit in your vehicle and people watch
- Go to a movie you’ve been wanting to see, or watch one at home, alone
These are just a few things to consider doing to spend time with yourself and get your juices flowing for what really matters to you. This can also be a way of getting back on track. You may even wonder where or how you got off track. What’s more important at this point is that you’re taking the necessary action to get you back on track.
You are the only one responsible for you. If you don’t pay attention to what matters to you, it’s nobody else’s fault that it doesn’t get attended to. Besides, what we do for others should come from the excess of caring for our own selves first. That in and of itself ensures they are truly getting what you desire to provide to them; service, support, and/or love.
I hope this has been helpful in getting in touch with you. If you’d like to go deeper with this or need some additional assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out, because YOU matter.