Perfection is a roadblock to progress. How many times can you do something over and over and still not have it the way you want it to be? You cross all your t’s and dot all your i’s, and it’s still not perfect. What is that anyway?
I heard someone say that done is better than perfect. Why, because perfect is never done. You’re gonna always find something “wrong” with it. You can’t move forward or make progress trying to be perfect. Perfection will block you every time.
This reminds me of a question a friend recently asked me about a decision she was looking to make. To properly stage this question without making this post longer than it is, she shared that she had been wanting to do this for some time, but had been putting it off, while keeping busy doing other things, “waiting” for the perfect time.
The question: “Should I go ahead and start my podcast, using the information I already know and improve it along the way, or do I wait?”
What an interesting question! As I so often say to the many different people I support in my space as a personal growth and relationship counselor, coach, and consultant, “You know best!” There’s something coming from deep within that speaks out in such a way that it cannot be refuted. You know!
You ask, “Should I go ahead and start my podcast, using the information I already know and improve it along the way, or do I wait?” Wait for what (just asking)? When you read this question aloud coming from someone else, what do you say? What would you suggest she do?
Seriously, what I heard you saying when I first read this is, “I should go ahead and start my podcast using the information I already know and improve it along the way.”
Really, when I first read it, I heard it as a statement and not a question. You are telling me, not asking. It’s the shadow, the hesitant, the resistant side of you that’s asking. Affirm what you want to do and get the support you need as you move forward. But don’t let the lurking shadow side of you hold you back. We all have one. What I set out to do is encourage movement from the truth you know from within, that affirmative voice.
If you sense a pull or call from within to do this, answer the call. Someone is waiting on you, that ONLY you can help. How does that feel? Scary? Good! That just means it’s something bigger than you. You won’t be able to do it all alone. You know this. Help will be there for you when it is needed. Once you act. How many different things do we feel afraid, do, and then feel so much better about it later?
It’s just a decision. Whatever you decide, you can always decide again later, the same or different. This is your life. Your call. What say YOU?
Thanks for the question, one that each of us can chew on far too long without moving forward. My prayers go out to you, in making the courageous move to go in the direction you decide.
Tips and Nuggets:
- You know best! If you don’t, who else does? You know!
- If someone was asking the same question of you, how would you respond? This is an opportunity to look at it from a different perspective.
- Affirm what you want to do and get the support you need as you move forward. Don’t let the lurking shadow side of you hold you back.
- Move from the truth you know from within.
- If you sense a pull or call from within to do something, answer the call.
- Someone is waiting on you, that ONLY you can help.
- If you feel afraid, it just means there’s something going on that’s bigger than you. You won’t be able to do it all alone.
- Help will be there for you when it is needed. Once you act.
- It’s just a decision. Whatever you decide, you can always decide again later, the same or different.
- This is your life. Your call. What do you have to say about it?
What other tips and nuggets can you pull from this lesson of perfection being a roadblock to progress? Leave a comment below and let us know. I hope you found this helpful and supportive in moving you from a place of perfecting, to getting it done.
Don’t let “perfection” block you from making progress. Take imperfection action NOW!